This article deals with ‘Gaganyaan‘. This is part of our series on ‘Science and Technology’ which is important pillar of GS-3 syllabus . For more articles , you can click here
- ISS= International Space Station.
- International Space Station (ISS) is a space station
- Space Station can be defined as a habitable artificial satellite in Low Earth orbit.
- US, Japan, Russia, Canada etc have invested in International space station.
- China is building its own Space Station called Tiangong
Earlier, MIR was Space Station of USSR .
Uses of Space Stations
- It acts as Microgravity Lab.
- It serves as Space Terminal.
- It can also be used in Space Tourism.
- As Satellite Launch Vehicles are used to send satellites in the Orbits . In same way, Space craft is used to send Astronauts in the space.
- Examples include China’s Shenzhou, America’s Atlantis , Russia’s Soyuz and SpaceX’s Dragon Capsule
- Here comes the role of India’s Gaganyaan
- Gaganyaan = India’s first manned space-craft. In 15 Aug Speech , PM Modi set target of 2022 for Space Manned Mission
- India will become 4th country after US, Russia and China to have this capability
|1984||Rakesh Sharma became first and only Indian Citizen to travel to space|
|2007||First proposal for ISRO’s manned space mission|
|Dec 2014||Experimental flight of manned mission launcher GSLV MK-III tested|
|15 Aug 2018||PM Modi Speech => announced that Gaganyaan will be launched by 2022|
|2022||Will be launched|
Earlier Manned Missions
|Vostok 1 Mission (USSR,1961)||Took Yuri Gagarin of Soviet Union into space making him the world’s first human in space|
|Mercury Mission (USA, 1961)||Alan Spepard was the first American send to space|
|Shenzou (China, 2003)||This mission put first Chinese citizen in space|
|Rakesh Kumar||Rakesh Kumar was the first Indian send to space on Russian Soyuz Space vehicle|
What will Gaganyaan Project include ?
- Manned mission
- GSLV MK-III to carry a 3-member crew to the Low Earth Orbit and safe return to the Earth after duration of few orbits to two days.
- Extendable version of spaceship will allow flights upto 7 days & docking capability with space stations
Key Components of Human Space Program
- Buidling up a Habitable Module
- Other life support systems like Space Suits
- Astronaut training
- Capabilities for recovering Astronauts safely
- Crew Escape System
Benefits / Significance of Human Space Program
- It will help India in doing Research and Development in space => Indian scientists will get opportunity to conduct experiments in space through Gaganyaan Mission
- It will encourage our scientific community => will help in making India a knowledge based economy.
- Manned Space Program are important to control resources present outside the earth. Infact, if in future we plan to setup colonies outside earth, such programs will be very important.
- Symbolism of achieving great power status
- It will increase the soft power of India