Strengthening of Ethical and Moral Values in Governance
This article deals with ‘Strengthening of Ethical and Moral Values in Governance.’ This is part of our series on ‘Ethics’ . For more articles , you can click here
Problems of Governance in India
This whole scene has to be seen in the context of
- Corruption , Nepotism , favoritism , Crony Capitalism
- Misuse of power in personal interest
- Red tapism : Undue delay in public service delivery because of complex procedures
- Lack of Transparency
- Weak Accountability
- Lack of public participation in decision making
- Bureaucratic apathy particularly towards weaker sections of society
- Status quoist and elitist orientation of bureaucracy
- Politicisation of Bureaucracy
- Criminalisation of politics
How to Strengthen Ethical Governance
For this, we need to take various steps in various fields
1 . Political Structure
- Enforce expenditure limits on elections strictly
- Bring Political Parties under RTI
- Remove excessive protection given to tainted politicians
2. Statutory Structure
For this 2nd ARC has given various recommendations
- Amend Prevention of Corruption Act
- Enactment of Serious Economic Offences Act
- Integrity Pacts – When Government Organisation signs any contract with Private organisation, sign integrity pacts stating that if Private Organisation is found involved in any wrongdoing, contract will cancel automatically .
3. Institutional Structure
- Strengthen and give more teeth to CVC , Lokpal , CBI etc
4. Social Infrastructure
Take help of society in reducing corruption and increasing Ethical Governance
- Give Civic education in Schools.
- False Claims Act (USA) – If you think that there is wrongdoing in some organisation, gather evidences & produce it before court. If fine is imposed on that organisation , some portion of money from that fine will be given to litigant .
- Social Audit : Social Audit can help in this regard.