Steps to make Parliament more effective
Following steps can be taken to increase the effectiveness of Parliament :-
1 . Role of Parliamentary Committees
- Parliamentary Committees are kind of mini parliament in itself .
- Larger number of bills should be referred to Parliamentary Committees as its membership is representative of Parliament .
2. Increasing Plenary Time
- Parliament is supposed to meet roughly 100 days per year but significant portion of that time is lost to parliamentary obstructionism . Data shows that number of working days have decreased
- 140 days a year in the 1950s
- 65 days over the past five years.
- NCRWC Recommendation : provision of 100 obstruction free days for parliamentary working can be made mandatory by law (each obstruction free day is defined as 5hour/day)
3. Parliament Budget Office (PBO)
- A Parliamentary Budget Office (akin to the US Congressional Budget Office)would help MPs provide effective oversight.
4. Shadow Cabinet
- Under such a system, opposition MPs track a certain portfolio, scrutinize its performance and suggest alternate programs.
5. e-petition System
- Under this system, If 10 lakh people sign a petition , PM or minister concerned will have to reply to it.
6. Tackling delegated legislation
There is committee on Subordinate Delegation
- Parliament has made this committee to assure that Delegated Legislation are in broad conformity with Legislation .
- This Committee need to be strengthened.
7. Role of Speaker
- Speakers have failed spectacularly wrt upholding the rules of parliamentary conduct & punishing errant MPs
8. Increasing Women Representation
- Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha have not seen women MPs cross the 15% mark.
- Passage of the Women’s Reservation Bill (108th amendment) reserving 33% of all seats in Parliament and State legislatures for women.